Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Final Reflection #cmc11



Final Reflection #CMC11

My Creativity and Multicultural Communication experience was dynamic especially in comparison to traditional learning and more vigorous than even online courses. Exploring how cultural learning enhances our creativity was intriguing and at the same time discovering that creativity lies dormant in everyone was quite inspiring. 

The abstract format of this Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) was at first disconcerting and uncomfortable until I freed my mind of previously established constraints. The instructor Carol Yeager knew the best way to learn in this environment is to struggle while we searched for a customized path. As a MOOC student, I was forced to think critically in planning my own goals for learning on this meandering and enlightening journey. To share in part my enthusiasm for this MOOC, I created my first PowerPoint and uploaded to YouTube for viewing. This presentation can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHsB_Qzo3lw.

During a recent discussion with Carol, she shared her thoughts on instructor feedback describing the students’ strengths and weaknesses as opposed to simply assigning grades. This conversation made me realize in order to progress we need to recognize both strengths and weaknesses.  I decided to self-critique and address a strength as well as a weakness that throughout this class came to the forefront.
STRENGTH-Since my youth I have been aware of my creative tendency, end of story. However, in the past thirteen weeks I was exposed to inspiring material that made me realize it does not need to stop there. As a result, I now intend resumption of an abandoned project previously thought unrealistic; following through with writing a book started six years ago.
WEAKNESSES-Albeit many, one weakness in particular throughout the years has contributed a considerable amount of self-imposed frustration. Because of the free-style format of a MOOC, I was allowed to discover I dabble a little in many things. Once I scratch the surface enough to satisfy my curiosity, I move on to the next interest never giving extensive thought to any one area.

This behavior that theoretically maintained a well-rounded [shallow] perspective continued until I viewed a video link supplied in the list of weekly assignments. The guest speaker featured in this video gave advice on how to lead a less complicated life; do a few things well and do not exhaust yourself trying to be “well-rounded”.  I liked the thought that well-rounded is overrated, so I did simplify and I DO feel more fulfilled. This simplified lifestyle has freed my mind of clutter allowing creativity to once again surface. I could not have chosen a better class for the culmination of my academic career with Empire State College.

No comments:

Post a Comment